[SSI] Getting SSI 0.5.1 to boot ?

John Byrne John.L.Byrne@compaq.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:38:32 -0700

john casu wrote:

> I've been trying to get the 2.4.6 kernel + 0.5.1 patches to work.
>
> i) There are some compile issues with
> cluster/ssi/vproc/rproc_svr_pproc.c
>    line 43:  #include "fbtoktypes.h"
>
>    lime 65: return ;  should return a value

I just noticed this myself. Make it return 0. I think this is
responsible for some problems I am trying to run down. I was about to
put a patch on the mailing list for this since Brian is mostly out for
the next couple of weeks and he is the only one that has been through
the patch release process, here. I'll mail a patch in a few minutes.

> ii) Trying to boot SSI and I get the following failure in init:
>     Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>
>     I enabled devfs in the kernel, and enabled mount on boot for devfs,
>     and I get a valid devfs mounted confirmation.
>
>     Can you help me with this issue ?

If you mean by enabled mount on boot for devfs, CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y,
that is your problem, I think. The clusterized devfs is quite unfinished
at this point. It is required to be built because there are dependencies
upon it, but it cannot be mounted on /dev because the namespace issues
have not been resolved. (Depending on what you are doing with the
cluster, you need to add a line to fstab to mount it somewhere, we
usually mount it on /devfs.) This has an unfortunate side effect, that
if your fstab uses "LABEL=", it the LABEL= needs to be replaced with the
real device name. A giant leap backwards for mankind.